Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jury Duty & Fly Away




I am sure the people behind the planning of jury duty have a system that works for the courts, but wow does that system seem wasteful from this side. I was summoned to Fresno County Superior Court today for said duty. I arrived on time, after ensuring that my substitute teacher was ready to go at school. I was seated in the Jury Assembly room for the clerk to go over instructions at 8:30. She said her piece, explaining the process and paper work. Next, she took roll. Then she said we could have a twenty minute break.

After a twenty minute break, I read a few chapter in Of Mice and Men, we were instructed to watch a video about jury duty. I read a few more chapters. Shortly after the movie ended, they announced that any one who had their name called is dismissed and has fulfilled their civic duty. Mine was the first name called. I was finished with Jury Duty by 9:35. I did meet some nice people inn the assembly room and walking to the Civil Court. Reyna and Ray were citizens trying to be responsible members of society, too. It was nice to meet them and visit a little. Other than that Jury Duty was a bust!

I did get to have a brief meeting with two administrators at my school when I got back. That was a nice benefit. I also had time to see my wife off at the airport as she left on her first great CAbi adventure in Nashville, Tennessee. I hope she has a good time and learns a great deal. Eric and I will put the house back together before she gets home.

Larry

No comments: