Monday, January 5, 2009

Honor to a Navy Veteran


Larry and I had an afternoon full of emotion and admiration. Larry drove with me to Visalia to attend the Celebration of Life for Jerry Groh, the uncle of my best friend Sue and her sister, Lori, my quilting buddy.

I have had the pleasure of two occasions and Larry had one occasion to spend with "Uncle Jerry". He was immediately one of my favorite people in the world. After his service today, we feel honored to have spent even that short time with him. Larry and I both were moved to tears as his family unfolded the virtues that made Jerry Groh such a special husband, father, grandfather, uncle and friend. When they finished with the military volley of gun shots, playing of taps and the flag folding ceremony I was overwhelmed. I tried to imagine how my dear quilting friends, Jeannette and Amy (Jerry's wife and daughter), and the rest of the family must be feeling when the officer handed Jeanette the folded flag "On behalf of a grateful nation...".

Before I knew it, I was sobbing as I thought of my mother recieving the American flag at my father's funeral 50 years ago. I knew my mother was a brave woman to raise two children by herself, but for the first time I got a sense of what it must have been like for her back in Germany when she lost her husband in an airplane crash.

I was so impressed with the Groh family for their strength and love today. It is obvious this honorable man was greatly loved and admired by many.

Who do you greatly admire?

No comments: